Part of the reason Lex and I decided to move from STL to SoCal was to be WARM all the time!! We even justified the extremely high cost of living for all those hot days we were going to enjoy. We imaged hangin' beach side soaking up the sun and catching a wave while our friends & family were freezing in STL. Geez Hollywood sure is getting the last laugh because I'm a ICE CUBE;( ....I WANT A REFUND!! Everyday I've been kicking myself looking at the beautiful 80's degree mid-western weather while I'm here freezing my tush off in the cold Pacific wind. I guess my dreams of wearing nothing but flip flops and sundresses will have to wait till Florida retirement. In the mean time I whipped up some HOT savory smokey lentil soup to warm our bodies and spirits!=)
- 2 cups Celery, chopped (or 1c. celery & l c. onion)
- 1 cup Carrots, chopped
- 1 Bay Leave
- 32oz Veggie Broth
- 1/4 cup Fresh Sage Leaves, minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 cups Water
- 1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup Fat Free Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups Lentils, pre-soaked & rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- In a large pot, saute Celery and Carrots till soft in veggie broth (5-7 mins)
- Stir in Garlic and Sage (3 mins)
- Add Veggie Broth, Fire Roasted Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce, Dried Lentils, Bay Leaf, & Pepper.
- Bring to a Boil and skim off foam.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 50-60 mins or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in Liquid Smoke, Remove from heat.